Tuesday, June 23, 2009

boys, boys, boys...

bug mo-hawk?
It's hard making crafty-boyish things... I have lots of trouble with it, for some reason, most of my toys are girls, most of my fabric is girly in some way and most of my designs are super girly. I've tried to move away from this, but it just seems to keep happening. I finally forced myself into making up some boy bodies and boy faces, and I was having quite a lot of fun with it, especially with the names, until I came up against the haircuts! Girl haircuts are easy, I make so many of them each day that I feel like I could do them in my sleep, but the boy ones are tricky!

I searched the net for pictures of boys, I went through my photos and looked at male friends and family members, I flipped through my prized collection of Golden Books in search of funky retro boy-dos... I sketched, I cut, I starred at Don Draper and Pete Campbell (Mad Men has been playing on repeat for the last week, its my new background crafting DVD... Pride and Prejudice had run its course!) and still don't know if I managed to pull it off...

boy faces
Can you tell that 2 hairstyles that made the biggest impression on me were Don Draper as a little boy (aka Dick Whitman...), and the kid from The Munsters?
















Hhhmmmm... 
B.

5 comments:

babalisme said...

Ahahahahahaha!!! The Munster boy? ummmmm...nope. Well not for me. He's cute and all but no, thank you :D

Sharon said...

SOOOOO CUTE. Glad you're jumping on the bandwagon with boys. I don't have any but I know it is difficult to find boyish type crafts/dolls.

When I think of boy drawings, dolls, etc. I often visualize a strong side part in the hair...does that make sense?

(BTW - I know you were trying to find hair cuts for the boys but the first picture looks reminds me of my little girl. She's got dark hair cut in a short bob! LOVE IT! Check it out here: http://mamasamess.blogspot.com/2009/05/fricken-friday.html )

M* (Melanie) said...

Very cute!

Threaded Basil said...

I have been wanting to come up with a boy doll too - now that I have a little boy on the way. It's hard! But I think your boy hair is great - I love the Eddie Munster look.

Ammie said...

Oh, I love the Munster inspired hairdo!