Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Recipe Monday

Carbonnade of Beef, aka Beer Stew

I've been eating this recipe my whole life because it comes from one of my Mum's favourite cookbooks, she gave me the recipe a couple of years ago and its become a staple winter fave around here... 

Serves: 6
Cooking time: 2 hours

Ingredients:
1 kg of steak: chuck, round or blade (I think blade is best!)
2 tbs butter
2 large onions, sliced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tbs plain flour
1 cup of beer*
1/4 cup hot water
2 bay leaves
1 1/2 tsp salt
freshly ground black pepper
pinch of nutmeg
3 tbs brown sugar
finely chopped parsley for garnish

Instructions:
Wipe and trim beef. Cut into cubes and brown in butter; remove to a plate. Reduce heat and saute onion until soft, add garlic and cook a little longer. Stir in flour and cook for 2 minutes. Return beef to the pan and pour in beer and water; stir constantly until mixture thickens and just begins to bubble. Add remaining ingredients, cover and simmer for one and a half hours, until beef is tender. Remove bay leaves, season and sprinkle with parsley.

- I add some parboiled baby potatoes to the pan about hour before eating, and I also throw in frozen peas just before it's ready.

* The beer you use matters! I always use VB (Victorian Bitter), which is generally a horribly bitter tasting beer that I don't like, but when mixed with the ingredients, such as brown sugar, it works perfectly. I've tried a lot of different kinds, it seems the fancier you get, the more you have to add later to correct the taste!

Try it!

More recipes at and via amityville boronia.

B.


No comments: